An Insider’s Look: Portugal
So many of our clients are turning to Portugal this year, and if it isn’t on your radar yet, it should be! Portugal is the hidden gem of Europe begging to be discovered. It is safe, clean, welcoming and bestowed with phenomenal hotels, incredible cuisine, and breathtaking scenery.
IN A NUTSHELL
- 7-10 days is the best length of time for a visit
- No shots are required for your entry into the country
- The best times to go are March to October
Europe’s second-oldest capital, Lisbon is an effortlessly elegant city, full of old-world charm. Built on seven hills – each one offering spectacular views of the city and River Tajo – Lisbon is known for its lively restaurant scene, coffee culture, spectacular scenery and as a home for the Arts.
- Explore the city of Lisbon by a private walking tour. Visit food markets, sample local products, learn about Portuguese gastronomy and sip on local wines as you learn of Lisbon’s past
- Visit the Old Quarter, Castle of Saint Jorge, Baixa, Chiado, and Bairro Alto and Belem districts
- Attend a bullfight (note that unlike in Spain, Portugal has outlawed the killing of bulls
SINTRA, CASCAIS, AND ESTORIL
Discover hundreds of years of history and culture in Sintra. Visit old houses converted into quaint handicraft shops, aristocratic residences, and the resplendent 19th-century Pena Palace – an incredible combination of architectural styles, colors, and shapes. Explore Cascais, a coastal town and former fishing village, popular with artists and writers thanks to its idyllic scenery.
Visit the towns of Sintra, Cascais, and Estoril
- In Sintra, visit the Palacio da Pena, National Palace of Sintra and Convento dos Capuchos
- Stroll through the charming town of Cascais and enjoy lunch at a local restaurant
- Before heading back to Lisbon, enjoy a panoramic drive through the Portuguese Riviera and visit the village of Estoril
Portugal’s second city is one of Europe’s most charming. Porto is a jumble of colorful medieval houses that hug the Douro River.
- Enjoy a walking tour through this UNESCO World Heritage city
- Join a cooking class and experience the flavors of Portugal with a petiscos tasting dinner, showcasing the country’s rich culinary heritage
- Tour the famed Churchill’s winery, founded by John Graham in 1981
THE DOURO VALLEY
One of the world’s oldest demarcated wine regions, the Douro’s steep terraces, and winding scenic roads are dotted with spectacular restaurants and idyllic scenery.
- Hike in the Alto Douro Wine Region, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, flanked with vineyards
- Visit the Quinta da Pacheca estate, a historic property that has been bottling under its own name since 1738
- Take a full tour of the scenic wine region and enjoy a gourmet picnic lunch
- Sail down the Duoro by private boat
- Enjoy a hot air balloon ride over the stunning Douro valley and its many wineries
– The Tully Team
Explore our Experiences
We design life-enriching travel experiences to the most unforgettable destinations in the world, providing our clients with exclusive access in a unique and authentic way. Whether you want to cruise the world in splendor, take an unforgettable African safari or create a magnificent travel experience exclusive to you, we have the unsurpassed knowledge, expertise and impeccable service you require.
A private lunch on the Great Wall of China? Golfing on a glacier? A private audience with one of Japan’s last remaining Samurai? We create “WOW” moments and take you beyond anything you’ve ever imagined.
The hiss of steam, the sound of a whistle… rediscover the romance of rail on a glamorous train journey. Whether you travel through Europe, Asia or South America, there is nothing quite like the magic of trains.
A safari is the answer when you need a little soul renewal. Be inspired by Africa’s spectacular scenery, exciting wildlife, rich cultures and exclusive lodging on a life-changing safari, crafted exclusively for you.
See the world while only unpacking once. Sail the seas in complete luxury with our elegant Ocean Voyages and relaxing River Cruises. We will ensure every detail of your trip is seamless and memorable.
Our one-of-a-kind industry relationships across the globe allow us to curate any experience you wish. Contact a Travel Designer to discuss how Tully Luxury Travel can take your dream and turn it into a reality.
Follow Us on Instagram